Getting rid of -XImpredicativeTypes

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 07:10:51 UTC 2016

> Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:
>
> > Friends
> >
> > GHC has a flag -XImpredicativeTypes that makes a half-hearted attempt
> > to support impredicative polymorphism. But it is vestigial.... if it
> > works, it's really a fluke. We don't really have a systematic story
> > here at all.
> >
> Out of curiosity, what ever happened to the most recent attempt at
> addressing impredicativity [1]?

It turned our that the new system being proposed was not better than the
current one. In particular, it was almost impossible to know upfront
whether a program using impredicative types would need an annotation to
typecheck. Furthermore, I think it would imply a humongous amount of
changes to GHC, for not a very large gain.