Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 01:13:11 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Michael Sloan <mgsloan at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a side observer, I find Christopher's comments to be spot on.

They're missing quite a bit, actually. Like how Rust had a bunch of
contributors even before they started, and Mozilla Corp. backing them.
Rust's solution is only viable if someone wants to bring those to the table
along with it; it's just not possible otherwise. There aren't enough people
*now* to build a whole new infrastructure.

I work with another open source project that is as short on contributors as
ghc is. It's part of my day job, even, and it's a regular topic at team
meetings. One comes to understand why this is not something that can be
done on a whim. (And my employer isn't big enough to do the heavy lifting
or provide bodies --- even ignoring that we feel it's best for us and our
customers that this project remain independent, not controlled by or
beholden to any company, which makes contributing somewhat difficult as a
political matter although we do our best.)