Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Sat Sep 24 23:46:02 UTC 2016

Seems reasonable, but much of the consternation over GHC dev process
has been about the relative illegibility of it, even for working
programmers who've hacked on compilers before. It's concerning to see
a list of items about a "contribute to GHC" discussion that seemingly
includes nothing that addresses this.

Can you point me to any discussions among GHC devs on this since the
last time it was raised?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 24.09.2016, 18:36 -0500 schrieb Christopher Allen:
>> >
>> > I think the we'd want to restrict this to Diffs submitted by
>> > contributors who already possess commit bits and specifically
>> > include a "no-review" tag in the summary.
>>
>> Is this intended to address the issues new contributors have in
>> contributing to GHC? This looks more insider stuff that misses the
>> point if so.
>>
>> If new contributors are not part of a conversation about contributing
>> to GHC, when and where did that conversation happen and what is being
>> done about it?
>
> Let me clarify: The auto-commit-after-build feature is completely
> unrelated to new contributors, and purely a way to reduce friction for
> regular contributors.
>
> (But everyone benefits as the repo is broken less often with such a
> feature at our fingertips.)
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>

> --