Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 24 01:44:25 UTC 2016

Friends

Here are the notes I took from session 2 of the Haskell Implementors Meeting.  The bolding is my choice of emphasis.

Simon

*        Doc bugs.    Two kinds

o   Typos.   Friction stops me

o   Explanations needed e.g. read/show

*        Lightweight pushes

*        Make user manual into its own repo, to make it easier to take pull requests.  But that makes it harder when making synchronised changes to GHC and user manual.

*        Auto-push: Ability to push to Phab and have it committed automatically if it validates.

*        Style guides.  Is having a defined style solving a problem we don't really have?  One piece of guidance: adhere to the style of the surrounding code.  Low priority.

*        Docker images.   We should have one.

*        Remove old documentation!

*        Cross compilation is difficult.

*        Have a GHC StackOverflow on haskell.org   (Jacob Zalewski jakzale at gmail.com<mailto:jakzale at gmail.com> offers to do this! - thank you).  It has a useful new Documentation feature.   Eg this would be good for "how do I look up a RdrName to get a Name... there seem to be six different functions that do that".