building ghc-8.0 branch on Win10

Josh Berman berman.josh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:23:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was able to build the "master" branch of ghc 8.0.1 using the instructions
found here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

When I switched to the "ghc-8.0" branch, though, I get the following error:

configure: error:
> You've selected:
>   BUILD:  x86_64-w64-mingw32   (the architecture we're building on)
>   HOST:   x86_64-unknown-mingw32    (the architecture the compiler we're
> building will execute on)
>   TARGET: x86_64-unknown-mingw32  (the architecture the compiler we're
> building will produce code for)
> BUILD must equal HOST; that is, we do not support building GHC itself
> with a cross-compiler.  To cross-compile GHC itself, set TARGET: stage
> 1 will be a cross-compiler, and stage 2 will be the cross-compiled
> GHC.

Anyone know off the top of their heads what the issue is?

Thanks,
- Josh Berman