Better X87

Thomas Jakway tjakway at nyu.edu
Sun Oct 9 14:32:10 UTC 2016

I was looking through compiler/nativeGen/X86/Instr.hs
<https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/nativeGen/X86/Instr.hs#L71>
and it's pretty hard not to notice the (hilarious) diatribe about the
horror that is x87.

git log -p says this was apparently written in 2009 by
Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au (92ee78e03c3670f56ebbbbfb0f67a00f9ea1305f).

Since this has survived in X86/ all this time I'm guessing this is still
an issue (another guess: we've gotten by because of SSE?).  Is there any
interest in improving x87 code generation? And if so, has anyone tried
before?

According to the comment there seems to be room for improvement. Sadly I
don't think x87 is going away any time soon.

-Thomas Jakway