[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:18:26 UTC 2016

> On 05/14/16 11:28 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>> The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
>> dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
>> associated source tarball.
>
> I guess all other Linuxes naturally use gnu
> make as `make' and Windows in msys too so only non-GNU/non-Linux
> systems should be affected and from those only FreeBSD has caught this.

Yes, that is possible.  I do not know either Solaris or OpenBSD well
enough, but I suspect they might have GNU make(1) installed in their
paths as `make` or their default make(1) can understand GNU-style
Makefiles.  FreeBSD has BSD make(1), which is the default, and this
cannot comprehend the GNU-style files at all.

Anyhow, in my humble opinion, it is a bad practice the hardwire the
name of the make tool in the sources.

> If this is
> true, then I would recommend "no" to both points and leave the fix in 8.0
> branch for 8.0.2...

Well, in theory, FreeBSD is still a Tier-1 platform, so every release
should just build fine without any further efforts.  I am also aware
of the fact I am considered a minority here, and that this is just a
minor technical problem that could wait for some undetermined time.
However, personally, I would be quite disappointed if this promise was
broken.

I am sorry and apologize that I found this bug after the release was
tagged, but I did not have the chance to test it before it was
considered a final release.  I tracked the 8.0.1 Release Candidates
and provided binary tarballs for them, they all went fine, but
apparently that was not enough.