[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat May 14 09:28:51 UTC 2016

Páli Gábor János <pali.gabor at gmail.com> writes:

>>> That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
>>> be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
>>> unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
>>> the recursive invocation of make(1).
> [..]
>> Ohh, I was quick to surrender: all you have to do is to
>> s/make/$(MAKE)/ in line 22 at utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk.
>
> All right, everything is now filed as #12058.

Thanks Páli! This should now be fixed on the ghc-8.0 branch. The
question how is what should be done about for the 8.0.1 release. It
seems that there are two decisions to be made here,

 1. Do we cut a new source tarball and bump the tag?
 2. If so, do we throw out the existing binary distributions?

The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
associated source tarball.

Cheers,

- Ben