[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Fri May 13 05:55:05 UTC 2016

Hi there,

> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:
> Sorry about the false start earlier. It seems there were a few tricky
> bits in the integration between haddock and GHC's build system that
> weren't quite right. This should be fixed now.

I have tried to build the source tarball on FreeBSD, but it always
stops somewhere around the documentation bits with the following error
message:

[..]
make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/local/bin/sphinx-build
make: illegal option -- -
usage: make [-BPSXeiknpqrstv] [-C directory] [-D variable]
        [-d flags] [-E variable] [-f makefile] [-I directory]
        [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-V variable]
        [variable=value] [target ...]
utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk:22: recipe for target 'html_utils/haddock/doc' failed
gmake[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
the recursive invocation of make(1).

Unfortunately, I will not have the time to figure this out today, so I
am just reporting this without a proposal for the fix.

Thanks,
Gábor