Draft 8.0 Mac build directions

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue May 3 15:32:42 UTC 2016

Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com> writes:

> Woops forgot to link them this morning
>
> https://gist.github.com/cartazio/32038db09222a2aac767cb5c03b406c6
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.
> And still need to mention cabal install hscolour :)
>
> Pardon the noise and feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks for this, Carter!

About font installation: do you know any any way to accomplish this
at the terminal?

re step 9: Perhaps make sure that `~/.cabal/bin` is in `PATH`.

re step 16: There are two step 16s! ;)

re step 16.a: It would also be nice if you could describe the reasons for
choosing Clang or GCC, in particular with references to further reading
(e.g. I think #7602 is relevant here).

re step 16.b: some justification for setting the `DEPLOYMENT_TARGET` would
be nice.

re step 17: If I'm not mistaken `--with-gcc` is now redundant. If you
still want to include it then perhaps just make the example use `$CC`
instead of `$pathToMyCC`.

re step 17: Also, isn't the nm issue dependent upon the XCode version,
not OS X version?

Also, perhaps you could submit a patch to fix haddock issue cited in
step 18?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

- Ben