Initial compile time benchmarks

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:28:25 UTC 2016

I just benchmarked another set of packages, this time using -O2 optimized libs
+ stage 2 (6ea42c7):

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/osa1/b483216953e3b02c0c79f9e4c8f8f931/raw/64001a1bfb71c0c4441c07f9f195bf5629095a6f/gistfile1.txt

For me the most surprising part is that CodeGen is sometimes taking 86% of the
time. It seems like we can start looking for improvements there. (I'll do that
myself but I'm too busy for a few more days)

Joachim, I think the difference is because of how thunk evaluation and cost
centers work. If you generate a thunk with cost-center "X", you attribute the
evaluation costs of that thunk to the cost-center "X". This is unlike how GHC
currently printing the timing information: We essentially measure the time of
thunk creation, not normalization of thunks. So the numbers you get from the
profiling output may be more correct.

We should try actually forcing the values in `withTiming` and see how it'll
effect the timings. I feel like some of the costs attributed to CodeGen step
is because of thunks we generate in previous steps. It's probably not possible
to completely evaluate the values (because of cycles), but we can still do a
better job probably.

One last thing is that profiling can prevent some optimizations and cause
different runtime behavior. Problems with instrumentation ...