GHC 8.0.1 release plan

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Mar 29 16:13:35 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I just wanted to follow up on this. Yesterday, Ben and I spent some
time and went over the current bug list[1]. If you saw that email
yesterday - please refresh that page, we've trimmed the hedges a
little bit. Please note that, barring any huge bugs in 8.0.1-rc3, we
really aren't intending on putting anything else into the queue.

So, if you're a developer: Please take a look at the tickets! Try to
fix something. If you're a user: if you want something done for 8.0.1
that isn't done already, you better make a *really* good case for it,
email us ASAP, and help us fix it!

Realistically, we're going to be spending most of our time on the
high/highest priority bugs. The remaining 'normal' bugs would be 'nice
to have', and some may even be promoted - so if you can, maybe take a
look. Otherwise we're going to be working on getting the remaining
critical bugs fixed and out of the way and move forward.

Thanks!

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1#Ticketsslatedfor8.0.1

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:
>
>> Hello GHCers,
>>
>> After numerous delays, I think we may finally be converging on a
>> (hopefully final) 8.0.1 release candidate. Thanks to the tireless
>> efforts of Richard Eisenberg, Simon PJ, and many others almost all of
>> the release blocking tickets [1] have now been resolved. There are a few
>> patches currently waiting for review that should hopefully be mergeable
>> within the next few days.
>>
>> After these last patches have been merged I'll proceed in cutting
>> the source distribution for GHC 8.0.1 release candidate 3. This release
>> candidate will be made available immediately, although, in accordance
>> with our new release policy [2], binary distributions won't be available
>> until seven days later.
>>
> Oops, forgot the reference here. The new release timing policy was
> described here,
>
> [2] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant