GHC 8.0.1 release plan

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Mar 28 19:12:48 UTC 2016

Hello GHCers,

After numerous delays, I think we may finally be converging on a
(hopefully final) 8.0.1 release candidate. Thanks to the tireless
efforts of Richard Eisenberg, Simon PJ, and many others almost all of
the release blocking tickets [1] have now been resolved. There are a few
patches currently waiting for review that should hopefully be mergeable
within the next few days.

After these last patches have been merged I'll proceed in cutting
the source distribution for GHC 8.0.1 release candidate 3. This release
candidate will be made available immediately, although, in accordance
with our new release policy [2], binary distributions won't be available
until seven days later.

Release candidate 3 will hopefully be the final release candidate for
8.0.1; the final 8.0.1 release will, with luck, be released in
mid-April.

This has indeed been a rather peculiar release and we hope that we'll
be able to stick to a more consistent schedule for future releases.
After the 8.0.1 release we'll need to discuss how we'd like to set the
timeline for 8.2, our next major release.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1#Ticketsslatedfor8.0.1