lookupRdrNameInModuleForPlugins with constructors

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Mar 23 00:09:29 UTC 2016

I'm trying to construct a dictionary in a GHC plugin. I'm stuck on finding
the constructor for the dictionary. When I use `-ddump-simpl` on the module
that defines the class, I see "Circat.Rep.C:HasRep". To try finding that
constructor, I say

> lookupRdrNameInModuleForPlugins hsc_env
>   (mkModuleName "Circat.Rep") (mkVarUnqual "C:HasRep")

However, I keep getting `Nothing` as a result. (Same without the "C:".)
I've also had this same difficulty when looking up constructors for
algebraic data types and when looking up TyCons. For regular value Ids,
lookup succeeds.

What am I missing?

Thanks, - Conal