VisibleTypeApplication and AllowAmbiguousTypes

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Tue Mar 15 20:11:15 UTC 2016

On 15/03/16 14:53, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> I'm happy to change the setting, but my logic was this: With
> -XTypeApplications, there are no ambiguous types. Of course, there
> may be types that are unambiguous locally but might be ambiguous in
> downstream modules that don't use -XTypeApplications, and this is
> what Andrew is (quite validly) getting at.

Yes. I think the key point here is that TypeApplications is typically
required at use sites, whereas AllowAmbiguousTypes is needed at
definition sites.

AllowAmbiguousTypes is a heuristic: ambiguity can arise without it, and
even before TypeApplications there were cases in which
AllowAmbiguousTypes was necessary to permit polymorphic definitions that
could be used unambiguously in some contexts. With TypeApplications, any
definition can be used given a suitable context, but ambiguity is still
a useful rule for deciding whether a definition is likely to lead to
type inference trouble.

TL;DR I agree that we should drop the implication.

All the best,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant