Msys2 64: progress

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 28 20:02:11 UTC 2016

Friends
I want to thank everyone who has responded - very helpful!
Thanks to your help I am making progress

*        I re-installed msys64 from scratch, this time following the instructions on the GHC wiki rather than the msys2 page.  By doing update-core; then pacman -Su; then pacman -Su again, I got a clean install.   Very good!

Getting a shell between each step is tricky.

o   The first shell is gotten with mingw64.bat

o   After update-core, that file is gone; you have to use msys2_shell.cmd I think

o   After pacman -Su we get mingw64.exe, which we can use thereafter.

*        My slow-start problem appears to have gone away.   I adopted the fix from

you may be hitting a long standing issue some computers have in which the domain controller is being hit for every invocation of commands, causing a slowdown https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/issues/138 , Solution 2 from https://gist.github.com/k-takata/9b8d143f0f3fef5abdab<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgist.github.com%2fk-takata%2f9b8d143f0f3fef5abdab&data=01%7c01%7csimonpj%40064d.mgd.microsoft.com%7cdd4588e2f3ff499367c308d39f535acd%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=KQFg%2f83I5Vj%2bS4ivgSvAI%2bpt3A04ulMjbO%2bbIrsb%2btQ%3d> seems to fix it for most people.

I am not absolutely certain that was the problem, but things seem ok now.  I also excluded c:/msys64 from my antivirus check.

*        Emacs too is now working normally.  Hurrah
So that's all good.
Now I'm stuck on the windows tarballs download thing.  I get

configure: Checking for Windows toolchain tarballs...

configure: Extracting Windows toolchain from archives (may take a while)...

File not found - *.tar.xz
I tried both the things described on the wiki<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows>:

Pacman -R mingw-w64-x86_64-curl

error: target not found: mingw-w64-x86_64-curl
For the other I did the two mkdir things, and tried ./configure again, but got the same error message as above.
So I'm stuck again, but further forward.  Can you advise me?
Thanks!