msys2 64 bit: help help!

David Macek david.macek.0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:21:43 UTC 2016

>     I have another issue.  I'm using 'magit' (in emacs) to drive git.  But it gives half-minute delays to do anything at all.  There are lots of people complaining about it (googlable) but no solutions I can see.  Do I have to give up magit?

I've read about it too, but I don't remember seeing any solutions.

I don't use magit nor emacs, but I have two ideas:

a) Try `mingw-w64-x86_64-emacs` (through pacman) with `mingw-w64-x86_64-git` (download[2] or through pacman[1]). This should work around any performance issues coming from the POSIX emulation layer. The downside is that I have no idea whether this combination works well currently (or at all).

b) `git config core.fscache true`. I'm not sure if this option is supported under Cygwin.

[1] <https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Install-inside-MSYS2-proper>
[2] <https://git-for-windows.github.io/>

--
David Macek