Why does the LLVM invoke command-line tools instead of using the library?

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:23:59 UTC 2016

I wrote the initial implementation of the LLVM code generator many years ago now.

At the time, no Haskell bindings suitable for block code generation existed. I was doing the work as per of an undergraduate thesis and so with time pressures went with the quicker option of producing a text file rather than implementing bindings.

That said, there are advantages of this approach: The LLVM backend can ship with GHC by default as it has no dependency on LLVM libraries. Not  worrying about packaging or linking against LLVM for a new experimental backend was great.

I also don't believe we loose much speed by going through the file system. When I last tried to measure this, 75% of the time for the LLVM code generation was spent in optimization, less than 10% in parsing the file. These were rough numbers so perhaps I made a mistake in measuring them.

The text file format also was originally white stable and so made it easy to choose different LLVM versions. This has become more of a problem as time has progressed, so there is a push to bundle LLVM with GHC to fix on one version.

Cheers
David