Template Haskell determinism

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:44:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> If names get different ordering keys when reified from different modules
> (seems like they'd have to, particularly given ghc's "-j"), then we end up
> with an unpleasant circumstance where these do not compare as equal
>

> The I believe that global, top level names (NameG) are not subject to this
> ordering stuff, so I don’t think this problem can occur.

True, top level names are NameG.  The reified Info for a top level Dec may
include NameU, though.  For example, the type variables in 'Maybe' are
NameU:

$(do TyConI (DataD _ _ [KindedTV (Name _ nf) _] _ _ _) <- reify ''Maybe
     lift (show nf))

The resulting expression is something like "NameU 822083586"

> This is a breaking change and it doesn't fix the problem that NameFlavour
> is
>
> not abstract and leaks the Uniques. It would break at least:
>

> But why is NameU exposed to clients?   GHC needs to know, but clients
> don’t.  What use are these packages making of it?

It's being leaked in the public inteface via Ord.  The Eq instance is fine,
because these are Uniques, so the results should be consistent.

There are two goals in contention here:

1) Having some ordering on Names so that they can be used in Map or Set
2) Having law-abiding Eq / Ord instances.  We'd need a 'PartialOrd' to
really handle these well.  In that case, the ordering would be based on
everything but the NameU int, but 'Eq' would still follow it

A few ideas for different approaches to resolving this:

1) Document it.  Less appealing than fixing it in the API, but still would
be good.

2) Remove the 'Ord' instance, and force the user to pick 'NamePartialOrd'
newtype (partial ord on the non-unique info), or 'UnstableNameOrd' newtype
(current behavior).  A trickyness of this approach is that you'd need
containers that can handle (PartialOrd k, Eq k) keys.  In lots of cases
people are using the 'Ord' instance with 'Name's that are not 'NameU', so
this would break a lot of code that was already deterministic.

3) Some approaches like this ordering key, but I'm not sure how it will
help when comparing NameUs from different modules?