Proposal process status

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Jul 21 19:45:59 UTC 2016

On 07/21/2016 08:38 PM, Richard Eisenberg wrote:

>> On Jul 21, 2016, at 2:25 PM, Yuras Shumovich <shumovichy at gmail.com> wrote:

[--snip--]
>> Haskell Prime committee will never catch up if GHC will continue
>> adding new extensions.
>
> Of course not. But I believe some libraries also refrain from using new extensions for precisely the same reason -- that the new extensions have yet to fully gel.

Indeed, a major issue right now is that Haskell-as-practiced is *sooo*
far from Haskell-as-standardized (H2010) that it's basically hopeless to
implement most non-trivial things using only H2010. We're not even
talking missing very advanced things, just "basic" things like MPTCs,
ScopedTypeVariables not being the standard behavior, various
derivations, auto-Typeable, TypeFams vs. FunDeps[1], plus various minor
syntactic conveniences[2], BangPatterns, etc. etc.

Just FTR: Of course, I realize that standardizing any of this is *much*
easier said than done, so this is NOT meant as a slight against anyone!

Regards,

[1] Alright, this one might be a little more contentious, but the basic
functionality of FunDeps (or the equivalent functionality form TypeFams)
is sometimes necessary.

[2] These I can and will work around if necessary, but as long as
something else in my package requires anything non-Haskell2010, why
should I bother?