Proposal process status

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Thu Jul 21 17:25:58 UTC 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Yuras Shumovich <shumovichy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately Haskell *is* implementation-defined language. You can't
> compile any nontrivial package from Hackage using Haskell2010 GHC.

Sadly, I agree with this statement. And I think this is what we're trying to change.

> And
> the same will be true for Haskell2020. We rely on GHC-specific
> extensions everywhere, directly or indirectly. If the goal of the
> Haskell Prime is to change that, then the GHC-specific extensions
> should not be first class citizens in the ecosystem.

My hope is that Haskell2020 will allow us to differentiate between standardized extensions and implementation-defined ones. A key part of this hope is that we'll get enough extensions in the first set to allow a sizeable portion of our ecosystem to used only standardized extensions.

> We can continue pretending that Haskell is standard-defined language,
> but it will not help to change the situation.

But writing a new standard that encompasses prevalent usage will help to change the situation. And that's the process I'm hoping to contribute to.

Richard