Proposal process status

Yuras Shumovich shumovichy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:42:31 UTC 2016

Looks like reddit is a wrong place, so I'm replicating my comment here:

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 11:36 +0200, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you hopefully know, a few weeks ago we proposed a new process [1]
> for
> collecting, discussing, and deciding upon changes to GHC and its
> Haskell
> superset. While we have been happy to see a small contingent of
> contributors join the discussion, the number is significantly smaller
> than the set who took part in the earlier Reddit discussions.
>
> In light of this, we are left a bit uncertain of how to proceed. So,
> we would like to ask you to let us know your feelings regarding the
> proposed process:
>
>   * Do you feel the proposed process is an improvement over the
> status
>     quo?

Yes, definitely. The existing process is too vague, so formalizing it
is a win in any case.

>   * Why? (this needn't be long, just a sentence hitting the major
> points)
>
>   * What would you like to see changed in the proposed process, if
>     anything?

The proposed process overlaps with the Language Committee powers. In
theory the Committee works on language standard, but de facto Haskell
is GHC/Haskell and GHC/Haskell is Haskell. Adding new extension to GHC
adds new extension to Haskell. So I'd like the process to enforce
separation between experimental extensions (not recommended in
production code) and language improvements. I'd like the process to
specify how the GHC Committee is going to communicate and share powers
with the Language Committee.

Thanks,
Yuras.