Request for feedback: deriving strategies syntax

Alexey Vagarenko vagarenko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 10:19:17 UTC 2016

> ----- Pragmas
>   * Examples:
>       - newtype T a = T a deriving ({-# BUILTIN #-} Eq, {-# GND #-}
> Ord, {-# DAC #-} Read, Show)
>       - deriving {-# BUILTIN #-} instance Functor T
>   * Pros:
>       - Backwards compatible
>       - Requires no changes to Template Haskell

I can't see how this doesn't require changes to Template Haskell.
In order to generate a newtype declaration via TH one must use
`NewtypeD Cxt
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:Cxt>
 Name
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:Name>
 [TyVarBndr
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:TyVarBndr>]
(Maybe
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.9.0.0/docs/Data-Maybe.html#t:Maybe>
 Kind
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:Kind>
) Con
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:Con>
 Cxt
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/template-haskell-2.11.0.0/docs/Language-Haskell-TH.html#t:Cxt>
`
where last `Cxt` param is a list of instanses to be derived,
but `Cxt` is just `[Type]` and `Type` doesn't take any Pragmas.