Rethinking GHC's approach to managing proposals

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Jul 9 20:45:35 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

Recently there has been a fair bit of discussion[1,2] around the
mechanisms by which proposed changes to GHC are evaluated. While we have
something of a formal proposal protocol [3], it is not clearly
documented, inconsistently applied, and may be failing to serve a
significant fraction of GHC's potential contributor pool.

Over the last few weeks, I have been doing a fair amount of reading,
thinking, and discussing to try to piece together a proposal scheme
which better serves our community.

The resulting proposal [4] is strongly inspired by the RFC process in
place in the Rust community [5], the leaders of which have thought quite
hard about fostering community growth and participation. While no
process is perfect, I feel like the Rust process is a good starting
point for discussion, offering enough structure to guide new
contributors through the process while requiring only a modest
investment of developer time.

To get a sense for how well this will work in our community, I propose
that we attempt to self-host the proposed process. To this end I have
setup a ghc-proposals repository [6] and opened a pull request for
discussion of the process proposal [4].

Let's see how this goes.

Cheers,

- Ben