Moving ArgumentsDo forward

Akio Takano tkn.akio at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 07:50:55 UTC 2016

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry about the late reply.

On 2 June 2016 at 07:19, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Akio
>
> Thanks for bringing back the ArgumentsDo question.
>
> My personal take on it is similar to Bardur:
>
>> AFAICT at best it's a *very* small improvement[1] and fractures
>> Haskell syntax even more around extensions -- tooling etc. will need
>> to understand even *more* syntax extensions[2].
>
> The benefit to me seems slight.  The cost is also modest, but it is not zero (see below), even given a complete implementation.  ANY feature carries a cost that is borne by every subsequent implementor, in perpetuity.

I understand your concern. I think this extension is worthwhile, but
of course this should be ultimately decided on by people who actually
maintain GHC.

I made a wiki page: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ArgumentDo

> One question I have is this.  Presumably
>         f do stmts
> will be represented as
>         HsApp (HsVar f) (HsDo ...stmts...)
> And should print without parens -- they are signalled by HsPar.  So what about
>         (HsApp (HsVar f) (HsDo ...stmts1..)) (HsDo ..stmts2..)
> How does that pretty-print. I suppose it should be
>         f do stmts1
>         do stmts2
> That is, it must use layout.  But at the moment the pretty printer doesn't do that.

It looks like the pretty printer always prints curly braces around do
statements (ppr_do_stmts in hsSyn/HsExpr.hs), so perhaps this is not
an issue?

- Akio