Best practices for merging?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jan 31 18:24:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 31.01.2016, 13:10 -0500 schrieb Geoffrey Mainland:
> My usual git workflow is to work on a feature branch, get a nice clean
> set of patches, each of which implements a discrete bit of
> functionality, rebase onto master, and then merge with an empty merge
> commit, i..e, *not* fast-forward.

if you want to go through the trouble, you are certainly welcome to do
so. The fact that phab squashes commits into one is more an artifact of
its VCS-agnosticity rather than a deliberate decision by us.

When I want a git history (or just my nice git commit messages)
preserved, I create a phab differetian revision as usual, but then
manually amend the git commit to contain the line
Differential Revision: https://phabricator.haskell.org/Dnnnn
and push, once the DR has been accepted, by normal git means. I just
have to remember to indicate in the DR (e.g. in the summary) that I
want to do it this way.

Greetings,
Joachim

--