dynamic linking and GHC 8.0.1 User's Guide

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Jan 25 15:14:15 UTC 2016

George Colpitts <george.colpitts at gmail.com> writes:

> I believe that static linking will produce a faster program, at least in
> some situations. If so it would be good to mention this in section 8.2 of
> the user's guide, *Faster: producing a program that runs quicker,  *
>
> I couldn't find documentation for the -dynamic-too option of GHC. If it
> isn't there it would be good to document. I looked in the index, and
> sections 6.11.5. *Options affecting code generation, *and  6.11.6. *Options
> affecting linking.*

Oh dear, indeed this flag appears to be entirely undocumented. I've
opened #11488 to ensure we don't lose from of this.

> Is there a pdf version of the GHC 8.0.1 User's Guide? It' much easier to
> search in the pdf version. 8.0.1 rc1 just has an html version but perhaps
> there is a pdf version available on the web somewhere. I assume the final
> version of 8.0.1 will have a pdf version.

I'll need to look at the documentation situation. While things largely "just
work" on our Linux platforms, LaTeX is quite a pain on OS X and Windows.
This makes producing the PDF user guide quite tricky. When I built rc1 I
spent a quite bit of time trying to work out some mysterious font issues
on OS X but in the end ran out of time and had to drop it.

One option (although unsavory) would be to simply plop the PDF from the
Linux build into the OS X and Windows tarballs. I would really prefer to
avoid this, however, as this presents yet another barrier to a
completely automated build, which is my eventual goal.

Cheers,

- Ben