[ANNOUNCE] Shaking up GHC

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 25 12:13:59 UTC 2016

Very good.

As I understand it, it can work side-by-side with the existing build system, correct?  That means we don't need to make an either/or choice, which is very helpful.

Every day I do
	sh validate --fast --no-clean
How can I do that using Shake to build?  Maybe
	sh validate --shake --fast --no-clean
or something?  Just modifying the validate script to make it convenient to use shake for the build part would be great.

You say: The make-based build system uses mk/build.mk to specify user build settings. We use src/Settings/User.hs for the same purpose. Feel free to experiment following the Haddock comments.

But User.hs is a source file, which we shouldn't normally modify lest we accidentally commit it.  Could we have a non-source file to modify (rather like build.mk being based on build.mk.sample)

Simon