Fwd: Fwd: Host-Oriented Template Haskell

Ericson, John john_ericson at brown.edu
Thu Jan 21 05:23:28 UTC 2016

Oops, Sent just to Edward by mistake.

----

That all sounds good to me---I think what I was thinking all along in
fact, unless I am still missing some nuance :).

My idea of using a multi-target compiler was to avoid needing stage0
to be the same version as stage1 (or adding a new stage, stage1 as in
your alternative). The cross compiler is multi-target so it doesn't
need to link another compiler to load plugins / run "host-oriented
Template Haskell". I mentioned the usecase of trying to build a stage2
which needs plugins / Host-Oriented Template Haskell, but it could
well apply to building anything else with the need for those to things
(and not normal TH, which cannot be built with a cross compiler)

In diagrams, rather than:

> stage0 (version foo, platform-x -> platform-x)
> ==> stage1 (version foo, platform-x -> platform-y)
> ==> some program (with plugins, with host-oriented TH, without normal TH)

or

> stage0 (version bar, platform-x -> platform-x)
> ==> stage1 (version foo, platform-x -> platform-x) ->
> ==> stage2 (version foo, platform-x -> platform-y) ->
> ==> some program (with plugins, with host-oriented TH, without normal TH)

do just

> stage0 (version bar, platform-x -> platform-x)
> ==> stage1 (version foo, platform-x -> {platform-x, platform-y})
> ==> some program (with plugins, with host-oriented TH, without normal TH)

Now it may be that building such a multi-target compiler today is just
as arduous as making sure one has a native compiler of the same
version before building the cross compiler, so my idea is of no
practical value. But if so, I hope in the long term that could be
fixed.

John