Fwd: Host-Oriented Template Haskell

Ericson, John john_ericson at brown.edu
Wed Jan 20 00:13:24 UTC 2016

>From #11378:

> Can we actually link against the old version of ghc? Yes we can! All we need is
> (1) for it to have been built with a different IPID, and
> (2) to use module renaming to rename the relevant modules to a different
> module name, so that we can import them without a conflict.

If I understand this, you are saying stage1 links stage0 (the normal,
non-cross-compiler used to build stage1), to build stage2? I agree
that should work, but if stage1 is multi-target isn't that level of
complexity not even needed? I'm not too familiar with GHC or its build
system, but a multi-target compiler that doesn't support normal TH
doesn't seem that hard to build in principle.

John