[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.0.1, release candidate 1

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Jan 13 22:33:11 UTC 2016

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez <asr at eafit.edu.co> writes:

> I found a different problem installing vector on Ubuntu precise (12.04LTS):
>
>   $ cabal install vector
>   Installed primitive-0.6.1.0
>   Configuring vector-0.11.0.0...
>    Data/Vector/Generic/Mutable/Base.hs:18:1: error:
>     Bad interface file:
> /home/asr/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.0.0.20160111/primitive-0.6.1.0-6R7Tzfc83qM6k1j6TLqRai/Control/Monad/Primitive.hi
>         Something is amiss; requested module
> primitive-0.6.1.0 at primitive-0.6.1.0-de94d43ed2b084399e39dfe5a3f60217:Control.Monad.Primitive
> differs from name found in the interface file
> primi_6R7Tzfc83qM6k1j6TLqRai:Control.Monad.Primitive
> Failed to install vector-0.11.0.0
>
> I have found the same "Bad interface file" problem installing other packages.

Ahh yes; I suspected I was missing something in the release
announcement.

Due to unfortunate Cabal/GHC interactions, GHC 8.0 will require
Cabal 0.23. These interface file issues should be cleared up by
wiping your 8.0.1 package database, installing Cabal and cabal-install
0.23 (only available from the upstream repository at the moment), and
trying to install vector again.

The reason for this is a change in how packages are identified in GHC
8.0. While previous versions of Cabal identified packages to GHC with a
package key (with GHC's -this-package-key argument), GHC 8.0 and later uses
another, more specific identifier, the installed package ID. For
compatibility reasons -this-package-key is currently accepted by GHC as
a synonym for -package-name. This is a bit unfortunate, however, as the
two flags aren't really synonymous. This is the reason why cabal-install
fails.

I'm discussing this with Edward Yang and hopefully we'll be able to have
a louder, more obvious failure in place for rc2. I'll be sure to mention
this in future release announcements.

Cheers,

- Ben