Warnings, -Wall, and versioning policy

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 13 12:43:58 UTC 2016

Thanks Gershom.  That all sounds fine to me.

An implication is that GHC is free to introduce new warnings X into -Wall.   Indeed doing so would be good, because the warning X might later move into the default set.  Indeed for such warnings, adding a "PS: this warning will become the default in GHC 9.2" might be a useful way to signal the upcoming change.  Then you can use -Wall and look for any "PS" indicators.

You don’t give a rationale for (2) but I think you intend that if someone wants to add -Wno-X when GHC introduces X in 9.0, you don't want GHC 8.6 to fall over.  Worth articulating the rationale.

Simon