Phab not running a full validate?

Thomas Miedema thomasmiedema at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:57:44 UTC 2016

The top window (remote - stderr) is the result of a normal `./validate`,
with some output suppressed.
The bottom window (remote - stdout) is the result of rerunning any failing
tests.

Note that Phabricator does indeed *not* run a full validate on patches or
commits (i.e. it does not run `./validate --slow`), because it would take
too long (Harbormaster is already having problems with the current load it
gets), and would only sporadically catch a bug that `./validate (--normal)`
would not have caught. When you add a new test yourself, and you want to be
sure it also passes `validate --slow`, please run that test locally using
`make TEST=<testname> slow` in the testsuite directory.

The different speed settings of the testsuite are explained on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/RunningTests/Running#Speedsettings
and in `Note [validate and testsuite speed]` in the toplevel Makefile.