New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Thu Feb 18 03:02:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016, at 08:09, Christopher Allen wrote:
> I have tried a beginner's Prelude with people. I don't have a lot of data
> because it was clearly a failure early on so I bailed them out into the
> usual thing. It's just not worth it and it deprives them of the
> preparedness to go write real Haskell code. That's not something I'm
> willing to give up just so I can teach _less_.

Chris, have you written about your experiences teaching with a
beginner's Prelude? I'd be quite interested to read about it, as (1) it
seems like a natural thing to do and (2) the Racket folks seem to have
had good success with their staged teaching languages.

In particular, I'm curious if your experience is in the context of
teaching people with no experience programming at all, vs programming
experience but no Haskell (or generally FP) experience. The Racket "How
to Design Programs" curriculum seems very much geared towards absolute
beginners, and that could be a relevant distinction.

Thanks!
Eric