[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 release candidate 2

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 09:56:22 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-16 at 08:00:49 +0100, Sven Panne wrote:
>> I have renamed it to -Wmissing-pat-syn-signatures.
>>

> Hmmm, things are still wildly inconsistent:
>
>    * "pat" is spelled "pattern" in other flags.
>
>    * We still have both "sigs" and "signatures" as parts of the names.

I simple head-count in GHC HEAD:

-ddump-strsigs
-Wmissing-local-sigs
-Wmissing-exported-sigs

vs

-dsuppress-type-signatures
-Wmissing-signatures
-Wpartial-type-signatures

at this point I'd be fine with either

 -Wmissing-pattern-synonyms-signatures

or even

 -Wmissing-pattern-synonyms-sigs

as neither 'pattern' nor 'synonym` have any abbreviation precedent in
`ghc --show-options`, but `sig(nature)s` has a precedent, so
using `-sigs` wouldn't introduce anything new.

>    * Why is "synonyms" too long, but OTOH we have monsters like
> "-Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances"?

Well... the  -Wnoncanonical-*-instances flag family was the best I could
come up with which is reasonably self-descriptive... do you have any
better suggestions?

>    * We have both "binds" and "bindings" as parts of the names.

Fwiw, `ghc --show-options | grep binding` come ups empty