New type of expressions containing (error ...) includes noisy implicit parameter

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 14:54:50 UTC 2016

On 15 February 2016 at 13:40, Dan Doel <dan.doel at gmail.com> wrote:

> But that is a consequence of call stacks being implemented by
> threading a parameter through the calls, not of the fact that it shows
> up in the type. Without the change in type, the programmer wouldn't be
> informed there is any difference without looking at the core.

I'm not suggesting that the parameter should be hidden in the type! I agree
that would be much worse.

No, I'm arguing that it was bad that we lost sharing just by using
undefined (or error).  If adding a call to error somewhere in your code
changes its asymptotic performance, that's at the very least surprising.

Apologies for diverting the discussion.  I also think it's potentially bad
from an educational point of view that error/undefined have these
non-standard types, in fact I argued against using implicit call stacks in
other functions in base for this reason (amongst others), and fortunately
we've limited it to just these.

Cheers
Simon

In other words, this gives one reason why users _do_ care that stack