Best practices for merging?

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:58:22 UTC 2016

On 1 February 2016 at 15:44, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> I also wonder what is the preferred way of viewing history for most of the people. I either use
> `git log` or github, but rarely resort to gitk. Only the latter makes the non-linear commits
> explicitly visible. The former two just collapse everything into a linear history and is such a
> setting merge commits are a major clutter. So perhaps that's why I don't like them. Perhaps
> people who tend to use gitk are more keen on merge commits?

Just as a side-note: git log has a --no-merges option to show only
non-merge commits. That might make your experience a little better
when working on such code bases. Alternatively, you can pass --graph
(best combined with something like --oneline) to view a gitk like
graph that shows the merges.

Erik