Explicit inequality evidence

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:06:32 UTC 2016

Hi Oleg,

I'm afraid to say that there is no one current type safety proof. Instead, there are lots of bits and pieces:

- A system with roles (but no TypeInType or kind polymorphism) is proved in "Safe Zero-cost Coercions for Haskell" (JFP '16) [1].

- A system with TypeInType but no roles is proved in "System FC with Explicit Kind Equality (extended version)" (ICFP '13) [2]. This type safety proof is broken (see [3], section 5.10.5.2), but we have no counterexample to safety.

- Closed type families are proved safe in "Closed Type Families with Overlapping Equations" (POPL '14) [4]. This system has no roles nor kind polymorphism. It also assumed that type family reductions terminate, explicitly leaving the challenge of proving safety with non-terminating type families as an open problem (see Section 6 of that paper). There may be a solution in work that has since been completed ("Non-ω-overlapping TRSs are UN" (LIPIcs '16) [5]), but I'm not aware of work that has adapted that solution to work with Haskell.

- My thesis (Univ. of Pennsylvania '16) [3] has a proof of a version of Haskell with dependent types. Closed type families have been converted into type-level lambdas; the full proof does not consider the possibility of non-linear patterns in type families. A start toward such an approach is described (Section 5.13.2) but not fleshed out. Roles are not included.

- A draft paper, never published, ("An overabundance of equality: Implementing kind equalities into Haskell" (2015) [6]) considers the possibility of combining roles with TypeInType. The proof is somewhat sparse, and it has not gotten the level of scrutiny in the other proofs. Furthermore, the way roles and TypeInType are integrated in GHC is different than what appears in this draft.

- Forthcoming work, by Stephanie Weirich, Pedro Amorim, Antoine Voizard, and myself, contains a mechanized proof of safety of a dependently typed Haskell-like system, but with no roles, closed type families, or even datatypes. I do not believe there is a public link to this work; we expect to submit to ICFP.

- There is a formally written, but unproved, description of what is implemented in GHC [7]. It is useful for understanding the GHC source code in relation to other published work. There is no proof whatsoever.

This is a sorry state of affairs, I know. It remains my hope that we will have a formal, mechanized proof of this all Some Day, and progress is indeed slowly marching toward that goal.

Richard

[1]: http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~rae/papers/2016/coercible-jfp/coercible-jfp.pdf
[2]: http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~rae/papers/2013/fckinds/fckinds-extended.pdf
[3]: http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~rae/papers/2016/thesis/eisenberg-thesis.pdf