Telemetry

MarLinn monkleyon at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:13:34 UTC 2016

Pretty random idea: What if ghc exposed measurement points for
performance and telemetry, but a separate tool would handle the
read-out, configuration, upload etc. That would keep the telemetry from
being built-in, while still being a way to get *some* information.

Such a support tool might be interesting for other projects, too, or
even for slightly different use cases like monitoring servers. The
question is if such a tool would bring enough benefit to enough projects
for buy-in and to attract contributors. And just separating it doesn't
solve the underlying issues of course, so attracting contributors and
buy-in might be even harder than it already is for "normal" projects.
Close ties to ghc might improve that, but I doubt how big such an effect
would be.

Additionally, this approach would just shift many of the questions over
to Haskell-platform and/or Stack instead of addressing them – or even
further, on that volatile front-line space where inner-community
conflict roared recently. It wouldn't be the worst place to address
them, but I would hesitate to throw yet another potential point of
contention onto that burned field.

Basically: I like that idea, but I might just have proven it fruitless
anyway.

Cheers,
MarLinn