Measuring performance of GHC

Moritz Angermann moritz at lichtzwerge.de
Tue Dec 6 04:07:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

I see the following challenges here, which have partially be touched
by the discussion in the mentioned proposal.

- The tests we are looking at, might be quite time intensive (lots of
  modules that take substantial time to compile).  Is this practical to
  run when people locally execute nofib to get *some* idea of the
  performance implications?  Where is the threshold for the total
  execution time on running nofib?

- One of the core issues I see in day to day programming (even though
  not necessarily with haskell right now) is that the spare time I have
  to file bug reports, boil down performance regressions etc. and file
  them with open source projects is not paid for and hence minimal.
  Hence whenever the tools I use make it really easy for me to file a
  bug, performance regression or fix something that takes the least time
  the chances of me being able to help out increase greatly.  This was one
  of the ideas behind using just pull requests.
  E.g. This code seems to be really slow, or has subjectively regressed in
  compilation time. I also feel confident I can legally share this code
  snipped. So I just create a quick pull request with a short description,
  and then carry on with what ever pressing task I’m trying to solve right
  now.

- Making sure that measurements are reliable. (E.g. running on a dedicated
  machine with no other applications interfering.) I assume Joachim has
  quite some experience here.

Thanks.

Cheers,
 Moritz