Request for feedback: deriving strategies syntax

Matthew Farkas-Dyck mfdyck at google.com
Fri Aug 12 18:05:40 UTC 2016

On 02/08/2016, Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> wrote:
> * The `builtin` keyword was poorly received. There isn't a obvious
> candidate to replace it, and several of us like the word `bespoke`, so
> it looks like `bespoke` will be the replacement. (If someone ends up
> complaining about it, we've got several other choices.)

Alas, i was on vacation when this happened, but i'd like to chime in
nonetheless.

I'm Anglo-Canadian, and i had to find this word in the dictionary.
That said, i haven't found a better alternative, and it's no worse
than any other strange word to a newcomer, e.g. Monad.

But when i read "bespoke" in adjectival position it makes my English
parser go "wat". I read on a few online dictionaries that "bespoken"
means about the same; is this so? and if so may we rather use it?