enumFromThenTo for Doubles

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 22:05:50 UTC 2016

Way back when I started with haskell I noticed this, and switched to using
this:

-- | Enumerate an inclusive range.  Uses multiplication instead of
successive
-- addition to avoid loss of precision.
--
-- Also it doesn't require an Enum instance.
range :: (Num a, Ord a) => a -> a -> a -> [a]
        | step >= 0 && val > end = []
        | step < 0 && val < end = []
        | otherwise = val : go (i+1)
        where val = start + (i*step)

It's always seemed better in every way, except syntax convenience.

Wouldn't any approach with successive addition lose precision?