Request for feedback: deriving strategies syntax

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Fri Aug 5 16:26:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-05 11:06, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry for not including the full context on that link. It's part of a
>> Summer of Haskell 2016 project called Native Metaprogramming in
>> Haskell [1] (a.k.a. Introspective Template Haskell [2]), aiming to fix
>> Trac #11081 [3].
>>
> On this note, it would be great to hear a bit about the state of this
> project. Shayan, have you written anything describing how things are
> going? It would be great if you could update the Wiki page [2]
> describing a bit about the approach you have taken and the current state
> of your implementation.

Just a little aside: AFAICT the idea here was originally to reuse the
compiler's internal AST representation. I'd be really interested to hear
if that's changed.

This compes along with a little cautionary note: The Scala people
originally did this for their macro support and it's being abandoned in
favor of something called TASTY which is a different (simplified?)
representation of the Scala AST. (There were a lot of other problems
with the Scala macro implementation which is caused by simply being
intimately tied to compiler internals in *other* ways.) Obviously, all
of this is AFAIUI and my understanding may not exactly be great, but
regardless I think it's worth looking into Scala/TASTY and why the Scala
people have (apparently) chosen it as the solution over the existing one.

Regards,