Request for feedback: deriving strategies syntax

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Thu Aug 4 02:52:00 UTC 2016

> On Aug 3, 2016, at 8:50 PM, Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> * Template Haskell: Not portable. Staging issues make it hard to use
> as a drop-in replacement for the `deriving` keyword

I do not understand "not portable" here. Do you mean that some architectures don't support TH?

What staging issues?

I'm imagining here having `deriving Blah` be surface syntax that desugars into some TH splice. You keep the nice user-facing syntax, but make the deriving mechanism itself specified in TH code.

It's an interesting idea, but one probably best tackled after the current proposal.

Richard