[Action Needed] Document your work for the Haskell Communities and Activities Report

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 21 19:20:01 UTC 2016

TL;DR. If you see your name in one of the two lists below, please edit
       the entries for your contributions to 8.0 and plans for 8.2 in
       the 2016 GHC HCAR report [1]. The deadline is in a few short
       weeks so act soon!

Hello GHC people,

As you might know, it's that time of the year where we have an
opportunity to reflect on the past and future strides taken by our
glorious compiler in GHC's Haskell Communities and Activities Report
submission [1]. We have had lots of great work go in to the imminent
8.0.1 release; let's make sure the community knows about it. Currently
listed is,

    Adam Gundry              Record system improvements
    Adam Sandberg Eriksson   Strict pragma
    Duncan Coutts            Environment files?
    Edward Z. Yang           Backpack improvements
    Eric Seidel              Implicit callstacks
    Eric de Casto Lopo       ARM support
    George Karachalias       Pattern match checker rewrite
    Herbert V. Riedel        AIX support
    Jan Stolarek             Injective type families
    Richard Eisenberg        Visible type application, kind equalities
    Ryan Scott               Improved Generics, DerivingLift
    Sergei Trofimovich       Portability
    Simon Marlow             Applicative do syntax, external GHCi
    Tamar Christina          Windows improvements

While Austin and I have done our best to stub out these entries, we need
your help to fill in the details. If you see your name in this list
please look at the current draft [1] and add what you can. Also, if you
see anything missing from this list please let us know or, better yet,
add an entry to the submission yourself.

Also, if you are planning on including any major changes in the 8.2
release, please add an entry to the "upcoming plans" section. As far as
I know at very least the following people should have interesting things
to share,

    Andrew Farmer            Profiler improvements
    Andrey Mokhov            Shake build system
    Austin Seipp             LLVM backend
    Bartosz Nikita           Deterministic compilation
    Core Libs Committee      Core libraries changes
    Edward Yang              Backpack, Compact regions
    Giovanni Campagna        Compact regions
    Simon Marlow             Various things I'm sure
    Ömer Sinan Ağacan        Unboxed sums, unpacking sum types

Again, if you know of someone not on this list who is considering
contributing to 8.2 please have them add their item to the report.

If there is any way that Austin or I can help don't hesitate to reach
out.

Thanks for your contributions over the last year!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/May16