Bikeshedding request for GHCi's :type

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:00:29 UTC 2016

Currently GHCi shows the "real" type of an expression (i.e., the inferred
generalized type), when you ask it:

Prelude> :t 1
1 :: Num a => a

Note that there is no defaulting happening, at least at the top level---of
course if there were local things that needed to be defaulted while the
expression was being type-checked then those would be defaulted.

If you ask GHCi to *evaluate* a polymorphic expression, then it will try to
default the type when it is figuring out how to show the result.  The
alternative would be to say "sorry, I can't evaluate this, because it is
polymorphic, so please tell me what type do you mean".  This is probably a
bit too inconvenient for practical use.

-Iavor