Bikeshedding request for GHCi's :type

John Leo leo at halfaya.org
Wed Apr 27 14:45:00 UTC 2016

Speaking as someone teaching his coworkers Haskell now, Eric's is the best
suggestion I've seen so far.

What I like about it:
* The original meaning of :type is unchanged.
* No new command is added (I prefer adding a flag to adding another
command).
* With the flag on, the full type is shown along with the possible
specializations (and good to note the list might not be exhaustive).  This
way, beginners can still see what the type should look like even if they
want to ignore it for now.  This is similar to learning to read Japanese by
using furigana.  It may be a bit confusing for beginners at first, but I
expect they'll quickly learn to ignore it until they need it, and I agree
it will be useful for experienced Haskellers.

John