Reification of out-of-scope variables?

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Mon Apr 18 21:01:50 UTC 2016

Hi all,

For our use case, namely automatic bindings generation via
quasiquotation à la language-c-inline, typed quasiquotation alone
wouldn't solve much. Because in order to be sensible it would likely
have to be restricted (one way or another) to only allowing
reification of variables in the previous declaration groups (since we
AFAICT all agree that the current permissiveness of reification in
typed splices is a bug). That won't fit the use case, since it's
precisely the types of the locally bound variables we're interested in
(see examples on the updated wiki page:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/TemplateHaskell/Reify).

So that brings us back to the question of allowing addModFinalizer to
capture the local type environment of the call site somehow. There's a
proposal for this that Facundo came up with and wrote up at the end of
the aforementioned wiki page, but does anyone else have a better way
of doing this in mind?

Best,
--
Mathieu Boespflug