[Haskell-cafe] Benchmarking harnesses for a more modern nofib?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Apr 4 08:32:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

definitely interested. I have just talked about this with Richard
yesterday, and we quite agree with what you observed. As the maintainer
of http://perf.haskell.org/ghc, I’d very much welcome better data!

Note that fibon already has bitrotted, and does not quite work any
more. So there is some low hanging fruit in resurrecting that one.

Simon mentioned a few points, such as dependencies. But note that you
can relatively easily dump the dependencies’s modules in your source
repository to both bundle and freeze them. I’d prefer that to (even
strict) dependencies to something external, as that lowers the barrier
for developers to actually run the benchmarks!

Another important step in that direction would be to define a common
output for benchmark suites defined in .cabal files, so it is easier to
set up things like http://perf.haskell.org/ghc and http://perf.haskell.
org/binary for these projects.

About the harness: haskell.org is currently paying a student (CCed) to
setup a travis-like infrastructure based on gipeda (the software behind
perf.haskell.org) that would allow library authors to very simply get
continuous benchmark measurements. Let’s see what comes out of that!

Greetings,
Joachim