Haskell Error Messages

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Fri Sep 18 15:21:36 UTC 2015

Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> Is there currently any planned work around making the haskell error
> messages able to support something like the ones in IDRIS, as shown in
> David Christianson's talk "A Pretty printer that says what it means"
> at HIW?
>
> Not that I know of, but it would be a Good Thing.

I have been interested in this issue myself and have the beginning of a
proposal on how we might be able to do this reasonably painlessly here
[1]. At one point I had the beginnings of a proper Wiki page describing
the proposal but sadly Trac/Firefox ate it and I've not had the time to
attempt a rewrite.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8809#comment:3